Homepage > History of Pimm's Cup|
- 1 1/4 oz Pimm's No. 1
- 3 oz Lemonade
- 7 up
- Garnish: Cucumber
(Optional: Mint leaves and an orange slice)
Fill a tall 12 oz glass with ice and add Pimm's #1 and lemonade. Top with 7up and garnish with a slice of cucumber. You can also use lemon soda to replace lemonade and 7 up.
Pimm's No. 1 Cup was created in 1840 by a bartender named James Pimm at an oyster bar in London's financial district. He blended gin with quinine and various herbs, and the drink was initially served as a digestive tonic in a tankard. The company claims that the original recipe of the liqueur is a trade secret known to only six people.
In 1859, he began selling Pimm's No. 1 commercially and the drink became a must-have concoction among the fashionable socialites of England. After the WWII, Pimm's brand added No.2 (Scotch-based), No.3 (brandy-based), No. 4 (rum-based), No.5 (rye-based) and No.6 (vodka-based). Although it is hard to find these Pimm's today as only No. 1 and No. 6 are produced today.
Originally produced in the city of London, todday the production has moved to Sottish Cameronbridge Distillery in Windygates in Fife. Although the cocktail is still seen as an English summer afternoon drink. It has also become the drink of Wimbledon, gaining the similar reputation of what Mint Julep is to the Kentucky Derby.
Pimm's Cup at Napoleon House, New Orleans
500 Chartres Street, New Orleans, LA
504 524 9752
The building was first used by the mayor of New Orleans from 1812 to 1815. Then he offered his residence to Napoleon in 1821 as a refuge during his exile. Although Napoleon never made it, but the story lived along with the building that has become one of the most famous bars in America.
History of Southern Comfort
History of Hurricane Cocktail
History of Mint Julep and Kentucky Derby