Marinade: (serves 4)
- 1lb watermelon, cut into finger sized rectangles
- 1 strip of orange peel, taken off with a peeler
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup Cinzano Rosso vermouth
- a few squirts of Tabasco
Combine all of the ingredients except the watermelon in a mixing bowl and whisk together. Place the watermelon in a container just big enough to fit one layer across the bottom. Pour the marinade over the lemon and allow it to marinate for one hour.
- 1/2 cup cubed fata cheese
- 12 leaves of fresh basil, torn in half
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp gin
Drain the marinade off of the melon. Don't throw this liquid away. It makes a delicious spicy sangria when mixed with red wine and poured over ice with some fresh mint sprigs.
Stack the logs of melon onto four serving plates. Place an equal amount of feta on each salad, sprinkle the fresh torn basil over top, and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and gin. Finish the salad with a few scattered pine nuts.