1. Using one round seedless watermelon and two personal sized watermelons (one larger and one smaller), cut a 1/4 inch slice off the bottom of each melon to provide a stable base. Use the smallest melon for the head, the next largest for the torso and the largest for the lower body. Set aside the smallest watermelon.
2. Cut the tops off of the large and medium watermelons, as shown, to create bowls. Scoop out flesh, using an ice cream scoop or large spoon.
3. Taking the smallest watermelon that has not yet been cut, scoop out eyes using a melon baller. Invert melon balls and reinsert.
4. Using a mini melon baller or a paring knife, scoop out holes for the nose and mouth. Carve a piece of watermelon into a triangle for the nose, and fill mouth holes with blueberries.
5. Connect all three watermelons on a platter, using large wooden skewers.
6. Insert y-shaped sticks into middle watermelon for arms.
7. Fill bottom sections with fruit salad of melon balls and blueberries. Pour 1/4 bottle of vodka and 3 oz Marie Brizard watermelon liqueur. Decorate with scarf and hat.
Easy Watermelon Carving Tips
Have the whole watermelon at room temperature when you carve. The cuts will be easier to make when the watermelon is not cold. You can chill the watermelon in the refrigerator after cutting and before serving.
Cut a small, thin, flat piece from the bottom of the watermelon before carving. This will make a flat base, making the watermelon more stable when carving.
Draw the design on the watermelon rind with a fine/medium point waterproof marker or a sharp pencil before you cut. After you've drawn the design on the rind, insert toothpicks in key places to use as guides for your cuts.
For better grip and to help protect your hands, use a fresh, new thick pair of gardening gloves with gripper palms. Choose a flat working surface on a solid base.
Use a sharp knife with a pointed tip - the sharper the knife, the easier and cleaner the cuts will be. Be careful! Consider using a channel knife for certain cuts and to hollow out larger areas.
(National Watermelon Promotion Board/CocktailTimes.com)
Holiday Cranberry Punch
Gingerbread Apple Crisp
COOKING WITH SPIRITS:
Pomegranate Rummy Game Hens
Royal Hot Chicken Wings
Pear & Squash Soup with Cognac
Vegetarian Chili Bee
More Vodka Cocktails